Rösti with Upma – Cooking Experiment #1
October 24, 2013 § 2 Comments
Finally the day has arrived for my first recipe post on this blog!
Since always, I did not experiment with food. Growing up in a vegetarian family, I never had problems learning to cook healthy vegetarian dishes. Things changed a lot when I arrived in France.
As a student I was busy with school and perpetual French learning, I didn’t have time to try cooking French dishes in a vegetarian way. For almost a semester I didn’t learn anything new in the kitchen. I had already bought the essential ingredients and spices from home and used to cook the way I knew. I didn’t dare to try newer French ingredients. But eventually I had to give in since I felt I am not learning anything about French cuisine. Even until now my French kitchen vocabulary is very limited but I am trying.
Here’s what I cooked for dinner tonight. It is an experiment to put together two different countries on a single plate, but it tastes well. Rösti is a Swiss dish based on potatoes and to complement it I added semolina based Upma which is a South Indian dish. Both of these are traditionally breakfast dishes as these are light, but when eaten together they work well for a not so heavy dinner. To add more color I garnished the dish with Kale chips.
Cooking Rösti with Upma for two people –
For Rösti we need
- 500 gms Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Oil
For Upma we need
- ½ cup Semolina
- 2 tbsps Oil
- 10-12 Kale Leaves
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1 Lemon
- 3-4 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
First we cook Rösti
- Wash the potatoes well and put them in boiling water for 30-40 minutes on a medium flame.
- Check with a fork or knife whether the potatoes are cooked or not. When cooked remove them from flame and wash them with cold water.
- Peel off the skin from potatoes and grate them. Add salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the grated potatoes to the pan and shape it a like a thin patty. Cook until the bottom turns golden brown and crunchy.
- Turn the patty to cook on the other side until golden brown too.
Once the patty is done we start with Upma
- Wash the kale leaves well under flowing water. Cut green chillies into small pieces. Add these to a blender along with lemon juice. Blend until you have a medium to thin consistency.
- Heat some oil in a pan and roast semolina until it changes color to a light brown. Add water, the kale – chillies – lemon mixture and coriander powder.
- The semolina will start absorbing water. Keep stirring to avoid any lump formation. Remove from flame when semolina stops swelling.
Kale Chips recipe is found here on The Kale Project along with many other healthy and delicious kale recipes.
In a plate, first place Rösti and on top some Upma. Crush the kale chips and sprinkle around Upma.
And voilà, Rösti with Upma is ready. The flavours of lemon with kale and chilly in Upma made it taste well with the slightly crunchy potatoes. There can be improvements in terms of colors with the use of bell peppers; kale can be replaced by mint or coriander leaves or both and potatoes can be replaced by sweet potatoes for a healthier dish and a different flavour. I was very happy with the overall texture.
Anybody said what this has to do with French cuisine? Nothing much, except the ingredients were all bought in France and I cooked this up in ma cuisine française (my French kitchen). And the life is easy again!