Risotto with Red Wine – Cooking Experiment #2
October 29, 2013 § 2 Comments
I had an unfinished red wine bottle in my refrigerator which I opened almost a week ago. Knowing that it won’t taste very well after so long, I decided to use it for cooking. Luckily, a friend mailed a recipe from the Veggie Thursday blog and as I had almost all other ingredients, I said Perfetto.
Risotto is an Italian rice based dish. This recipe uses onion and red wine to vary the classic way of making this toothsome dish.
Cooking Risotto with Red Wine for Two People
What do we need?
- 100 gms Arborio Rice
- 1-2 Onions
- 1-2 Tomatoes
- 100 gms boiled Chickpeas
- 1 Carrot
- 5-10 buds Cauliflower
- 100 gms Mushrooms
- 50 ml Red Wine
- Olive Oil
- 1-2 cups Water
- 2 tbps Vegetable Stock
Let’s cook it up
- Soak rice in water for 15-30 minutes.
- Cut onions in thin ring slices. Heat oil in a pan and sauté onion rings till they change color.
- Add the soaked rice and mix well. Wait until the rice is half-cooked.
- Add slices of carrot, cauliflower buds, tomato dices and red wine.
- Let the rice cook until the red wine evaporates.
- Add chickpeas, slices of mushroom, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Just before removing the rice from flame, add the vegetable stock. Cook it for 2-3 minutes.
Let the rice rest for a few minutes to cool before serving it with some bread.